CDN Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Clay Modeling    Clay Modeling Basics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clay Modeling Basics Login/Join

Forums Member
posted
i am currently planing to build a car clay model over the summer holidays. We don't get it thought at university, but i still want to learn how to do it properly.
so the cars design is going to be set in stone in the next few weeks. the next step is going to be some tape drawings and a foam core. but then comes the part where i need some help.
are there other websites then Kolb.com where i can buy clay ? for a 1:4 model, do i need more then one box of clay(which is 120euro)? how do i heat the clay(is a simple micro oven sufficient?) and at what temperature. what are the best tools to get the clay in shape.
i know those are a lot of questions, but i hope fore someone willing to answer me :-)

Posts: 67 | Location: AustriaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Forums Member
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
This is another website if you want to buy clay for modeling: http://www.chavant.com
I don't know exactly how many clay you need for 1:4 scale mode. Coz it's depend on your design.
And you don't need oven actually.. heat gun/ hair dryer still can do the trick. Big Grin

BMW is BMW... not an Audi or anything with BMW's logo in it.

Posts: 65 | Location: Jakarta, IndonesiaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Forums Member
Picture of Sven7
posted Hide Post
One box holds like 6 cylinders or something, right? You might be able to pull it off if you build a really accurate foam buck but it would be wise to buy more than you need. Keep in mind that after you're done with this one you can reuse the clay on subsequent models. Just be very careful to get all the foam bits out of it.

BTW, Kolb.com does not exist.

Posts: 776 | Location: CCSReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
but i still want to learn how to do it properly.
so the cars design is going to be set in stone in the next few weeks. the next step is going to be some tape drawings and a foam core. but then comes the p

Posts: 28 | Location: New YorkReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if you tell me what is the best clay to use and also refer some good place to buy it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Great Neck, NY 11023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
My brother loves working on his car clay models, and it can look very detailed and beautiful. He uses Sculpey III, and I think it has been working well for him. You can buy online, and post some photos to share with us when you are done. I might ask him to let me post pictures of his car models, some of them even have their hoods up so he could detail their http://www.carid.com auto parts.

Posts: 23 | Location: United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Your going to need 6 to 10 boxes for a 1\4 scale I like to have room to play so make the clay 3' thick on the foam!!

Posts: 5 | Location: fomocoReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Out of all the clay I've used over the years Tools is the best model=NS60L..

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post

Forums Member
Picture of clayman
posted Hide Post
Any one looking at claymodeling for the first time should go back through this forum first, looking at some of the posts in this thread would put many people off.

Clay 3" thick ! Create the armature ( Foam over wood or steel or even all foam ) 12 to 20 mm max, why waste clay . create you basic shape close to your concept drawings or rough sketches.

My Brother Uses Sculpey ! Wrong answer Sculpy get hard, the whole idea of Styling clay is the freedom of expression, the chance to change at whim and go back to the original without a lot of work.

How many Box's of clay to create a 1/4 scale car 6 to 10 boxes, I bet the Clay companies love you. Having built many hundreds of Scale and Full size models of everything from 48ft RV's , Boats, Aircraft to motor cycles, if you use any more than one box to make a 1/4 scale then you used to much.

Heating, Micro Wave ! Styling clay is an oil based ( Wax ) clay not Water based. Microwaves work on vaporizing water, Hair dryer, hope your not going to get the job done quickly.

The best thing to make for the job you are doing is a Styrofoam Cooler, make a 25mm hole in the top to house a lamp holder with a 25 / 40/60 watt bulb. Use the 60 watt to start with around 2 hours to get 1 billet up to temp ( 135 /150f max ) once its warm change the lamp to 40 watt, even 25 watt, a 25 watt can be left overnight, you can even use a thermostat.

Use Styrofoam for the base shape, either coat the foam with shellac ( let it dry ) so the clay will stick, use a hot air gun to warm the clay even hotter without burning or melting the clay, the first coat is the most important, don't just slap a blob of clay , it will fall off, use layers to get to you shape, Thats the approved way, I take a Hot air gun to anneal the foam, that hardens the foam and puts a skin on it, once thats done give it a sand with sand paper to get rid of the rough bits, Shellac and build the clay up.

Like I said when starting Look back on this forum for other posts from professional Clay Modelers not people who think they understand the process, doing so will save you not hours but days.

As to clay Chavant Y2 light clay, remember Tools clay is just Chavant made under license, Kolb is good, Look at Chavant.com for prices, books, videos, articles etc. also check out YouTube for Claymodeling Videos.

claymodeller.com

Posts: 54 | Location: Crockett,Texas.USAReply With QuoteReport This Post