CDN Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Design Technique    Rendering with Marker....How does one get Chip Foose results???

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Rendering with Marker....How does one get Chip Foose results??? Login/Join

New Forums Member
AIM: Online Status For FIFA20029
posted
Hey All:

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. Does anyone ever watch Overhaulin'? When Chip draws out his final sketch, he does it in ordinary ballpoint pen, then renders over with his markers. It turns out great!

BUT, when I do the same (with warm/cool grey markers) it looks like crap, because the marker will wick and smear the pen ink the moment it comes in contact. WTF?!? The only remedy that I have found to this is to use a Pilot fine point pen, that doesn't have the same type of ink. The downside to this is that have virtually no control over my linework. The ball point offers terrfic control.

Does anyone have any idea on a better way to remedy this or what Chip Foose actually does to get such good results??? Please help, I really want to learn marker.

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Hi henadenk,

I presume you are using alcohol based markers Letraset, Copic etc. Try Chartpak AD markers, they do not dissolve ballpoint pen ink. Either that or if you have spent lots of money buying a marker set draw in black or blue verithin pencil.

Hope this helps

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Mike R:

Well actually I'm using Prismacolor markers. I've studied many an episode of Overhaulin', and it's clear that Chip Foose uses Letraset markers, and matching marker paper. For a while I thought that may be the problem, the paper. I've used marker paper ever-since I started using markers, but I figured maybe I wasn't getting the right types. BUT, eventhough my paper says "anti-wicking/bleeding" it still wicks and bleeds, NOT thru though. I called a couple art stores, and they said the paper is not the factor, it's the order in which you render. They sad, with a ball point pen you will always wick when marker is applied.

SO, I guess my next question is how is Chip Foose clearly using Letraset markers (alcohol-based) and still getting no wicking??? In the meantime, I will research a pack of Chartpak AD markers, and go pick up some black verithin pencil. Thanks Mike R.

Does anyone else want to weigh-in on this as well?

Forums Member
Picture of han
AIM: Online Status For pitchinrules88
posted Hide Post
hey i had same problem. wat i do is, just draw wiht pencil or color pencil, color it with marker, and then at the end go on wiht using pen for lineorks and detail areas. it worked for me quite well Smile

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Oh ok, I hope that works as well with the verithin pencil I'm about to go pick up. I've felt funny about sketching with pencil since age 12. I've noticed that a regular No.2 pencil will slip across the paper very freely with little resistance (Not very fond of that). That's what I liked about the ball point was the control, the right amount of resistance across the paper.

Let's hope these verithin pencils behave more like the ballpoint.

I'm still open to suggestions on this matter...keep 'em comin'!

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
I have just watched Chip Foose rendering on youtube he does use Chartpak markers, so that explains why he sketches in ball point. If you feel more comfortable sketching with ball point and dont want to get a new set of markers, then tear off that sheet of your marker pad (letraset and copic make the best quality paper) and lay it under another clean sheet. When you start the rendering trace the lines with verithin and marker over (you need to be fast or it will bleed). Doing a full rendering is a much more complicated process you will need chalk/pastel prisma premiers and gouache. But when doing a quick sketch, marker verithin and a smear of pastel can do wonders.