CDN Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Design Schools    ACCD Help PLEASE!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACCD Help PLEASE!!! Login/Join

New Forums Member
posted
Hello guys my name is Tony,

and I'm a great great fanatic of going to ACCD! I'm 20 years old right now, and have done some sketching for a while as well. The reason I created this blog post was I needed advice on how to be better than I am now to attend ACCD. I know ACCD is a diehard school for car design fanatics and its rigorous program is like a dream environment to me! And if you may please advise me in what to do, I have read LOT'S of posts here from ACCD students and I wanted to know how I could straiighten my ass to be a prominent student.

Like how do i get better? How should I practice? What would you recommend I do to be an ideal designer?

I just bought a bundle of 11" x 17" paper from Staples and am going to draw cars in them, I haven't been into Photoshop lately but I heard that it's not all that important right now. And I have nooooo idea how to create a 3d clay model car, (I would die for information like that lol!)

So please, anybody! What else could there be? What is a ideal daily regimen for becoming a great car designer?

"Have a dream? Get prepared to give some blood, sweat, and tears."

Posts: 14 | Location: Virginia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
AIM: Online Status For Bronsongreenappl
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony, I don't attend ACCD. I live in the area and attend Pasadena City College, a couple of the instructors here teach at Art Center as well.

Do any community colleges in your area have industrial design related courses? The ability to problem solve is crucial, and design related courses would probably be benefitial as well. Rendering, drawing, sketching classes, are invaluable if you can find any in direct relation to creating products of any sort.

--

This site helped me out a bit as far as industrial design goes.

(http://www.idsketching.com/)

--

Drawing through is benefitial to get proportions correct. There are a couple of drawing tutorials here on CDN that can help you.

I know that Art Center at Night Courses are fairly rigerous and can be benefitial if you are looking to develop a portfolio, granted, you live on the east coast. They also, are not the most modest of prices. (http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight/main.jsp)

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Dude thanks a million for the reply! Unfortunately, I live in the west coast which is nowhere near resources! It's like anti-design environment here! No industrial design classes, no tutors, mentors, books in the library etc; (I live in Virginia)

I love the resource you gave me, idsketching.com, I have been there and they have multiple videos and tutorials. Plus many of the materials I have at home came from their "Materials Guide" section. Awesome stuff!

Thanks to your guidance I started looking into online classes Art Academy of Art University (AAU), haven’t signed up yet… I’m not sure if this is a good decision yet. The rate per credit is $ 765. If I take my community college into account, I guess I have to raise my hours of work lol. (Or financial aid might cover that???) Confused My community college doesn’t give any class close to Industrial/Transportation design, just Architecture.

Let me know what you think, I have no idea if this is a bad idea or a good one. But it’s something right? I’ve been dying for some Transportation Design knowledge since high school and I hear AAU is similar to ACCD. So taking online classes there then switching to Art Center when a few years have passed…

Thanks again for the reply Bronson! Smile

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to your guidance I started looking into online classes Art Academy of Art University (AAU), haven’t signed up yet… I’m not sure if this is a good decision yet. The rate per credit is $ 765.

This reminds me of a Karate Kid quote, "You learn Karate from book?" LOL

I don't usually suggest Art Center for several reasons, but if you really have to go, I and many others will suggest that you move to Pasadena and attend Pasadena City College first, then eventually transfer to Art Center. While at PCC you can apply for financial aid if necessary and/or get a part time job locally. Consider your time at PCC as the first half of your official design education, most of us do.

Commonly students also attend Art Center At Night classes while they're at PCC. You can even apply for ACAN scholarships with what you learn at PCC and take the night classes for free.

Some of the most successful students at Art Center spend several years honing their skills and becoming very proficient by taking classes at both PCC and Art Center at Night. Yes, I said several years, two is the average.

If you do your research, you'll find out that this is the most common route into ACCD. PCC has an amazing art and design program and the highest transfer rate into ACCD. Its also one of the highest ranked JCs in the nation for academics.

If you do go to PCC, focus your class schedule almost solely on art and design classes, take anything and everything art related that piques your interest, its all related and it'll open your mind.

Good Luck and please keep researching before jumping in, just based on cost alone Art Center and most design schools are a huge commitment.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los AngelesReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
@command-z: Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it. Haha I just realized that now how that would sound from a Karate Kid movie lol!

In a nutshell this is my life:

1) I’m 20 years old and go to community college in Virginia, the opposite pole of this country in terms of where ACCD/California is.

2) The plan: Get a degree in something else entirely (Computer Science) to get a full-time job to pay off ACCD ($186 K). After 2-3 years of working full-time I should cover at least the tuition part of ACCD.

3) I’m 20 right now, I’ll be at least 23 by the time I get a bachelor degree and another 3-4 years to work to pay ACCD tuition, housing, supplies, etc; off.

4) I would desperately move to Pasadena, California right now if I had the money to do it. Plus my family believes that competition is so fierce in the car design industry. But I don’t care it’s what I want to do. And that’s my plan so far.

5) I guess lastly was to work my butt off everyday creating the best portfolio to be accepted for ACCD.

I love the advice you suggested on part with PCC and taking classes there (as well as Saturday High), again money is my only obstacle and this has been, I guess, the “safest” plan so far.

As with AAU, I scrapped that idea. I would rather spend money on the supplies it takes to create pieces of work (markers, paper, vellum, pastels, sketchbooks, etcWink than to spend more money than the community college I attend to, plus the other responsibilities I have.

I don’t know what to do from here, to be honest I was depressed during work on Thursday, just thinking about this dream. How I dream to arrive at work with coffee in my hand and a sketchbook to look forward to in a design studio, and to meet great designers from all over the world lol. But I don’t want to be an old man by the time I get the ACCD Transportation Design degree and never get into a car industry for all the hard work I did.

What do you guys think, am I being stupid here or too scared or maybe there might be no potential in me to make it to this dream with the plan I have so far. I have to face reality and I don’t mind any advice or criticism you might have, in fact I greatly accept any advice at all, I am TRULY in debt already by the great replies and have seriously looked at the options you guys replied with.

Sorry for the long rant lol! I apologize for eating the space in the forum!

Forums Member
Picture of Aonepathan
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony! Man I live in Virginia too, what part are you in?

I'm kinda in the same situation as you are in right now, I want to go to ACCD but tuition, living, sketching skill all come to play. I'm just suping up my portfolio and earning every dime til I get to ACCD! I bet you, I'll be kissing the school floor if I make it the the building LOL

But keep sketching, sorry I'm not much help here, but there are scholarships, financial aid, and other ways to go. Guys in this forum are greatly experienced in how ACCD works.

I don't know of you working 3 years straight just to get a name in ACCD. But how about you get that Computer Science degree and find a job at California??? Just advice, but good luck man!

Keep sketching, sketching, and sketching every day!

New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you may please advise me in what to do, I have read LOT'S of posts here from ACCD students and I wanted to know how I could straiighten my ass to be a prominent student.

Like how do i get better? How should I practice? What would you recommend I do to be an ideal designer?

So please, anybody! What else could there be? What is a ideal daily regimen for becoming a great car designer?

quote:
My community college doesn’t give any class close to Industrial/Transportation design, just Architecture.

quote:
2) The plan: Get a degree in something else entirely (Computer Science) to get a full-time job to pay off ACCD ($186 K). After 2-3 years of working full-time I should cover at least the tuition part of ACCD.

4) I would desperately move to Pasadena, California right now if I had the money to do it. Plus my family believes that competition is so fierce in the car design industry. But I don’t care it’s what I want to do. And that’s my plan so far.

5) I guess lastly was to work my butt off everyday creating the best portfolio to be accepted for ACCD.

I love the advice you suggested on part with PCC and taking classes there (as well as Saturday High), again money is my only obstacle and this has been, I guess, the “safest” plan so far.

Your and your parents' doubts are extremely valid, Art Center and most of the other top design schools are a giant financial burden. Moving out to Los Angeles to work a job and take classes at PCC is a huge move as well. If for some reason it isn't in the cards for you, the best thing you should do to prepare a good industrial design student portfolio is to take as many art and design classes that are available to you.

What most of the strong students have in common is lots of previous experience in art and design. Since you asked earlier on what coarse of study would offer the most transferable skill set, it would usually be illustration, like for graphic novels, video games and film concept art. There are differences, but there is a dynamic aspect, both in style and perspectives to this type of illustration that is very similar to trans design. So if you have access to figure drawing, still life drawing and landscape painting there at your JC or your area, I suggest you take them and take them until you have some confidence in your ability. At the same time you need to also study cars with a strong emphasis on their aesthetics and proportions, with the goal of building a strong vocabulary/ mental inventory of automotive forms from different eras, movements and countries of origin. Basically, what I've suggested is the foundation you would need to learn from Art Center at Night and Pasadena City College, plus a little extra to be one of those "hot shot" sketcher/designers you see on the internet. If everything serendipitously comes together, you might even get a decent to full scholarship upon your acceptance to either Art Center or CCS.

Also, don't count out CCS. Some of the best trans instructors at Art Center are graduates of CCS. Lastly, start researching what's in your area in terms of art and design, like what do folks who want to attend RISD or CCS do, and where do they go, to prepare for those schools. In the US art and design is a very non traditional and esoteric career direction, so be prepared to get yourself in some unconventional situations to learn it. One of my friends from Art Center use to drive up to twice a week, 220 miles from Northern California to Pasadena and 220 miles back, to attend night classes before he was accepted in the day program. Others seek tutoring, mentoring, and/or apprenticeships to gain more knowledge.

Again, please take some time to research Industrial Design in general and keep an open mind. Good luck!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Los AngelesReply With QuoteReport This Post
New Forums Member
posted Hide Post
@Aonepathan: hahaha I live in Centreville,it's basically northern virginia, but that's awesome what about you?

That's a good idea actually I never thought of moving from here to California after receiving the Computer Science degree, something for me to think about!!! Big Grin

@command-z: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for such great advice command-z. Everything you said is GREAT advice and I'm seriously taking your word to do some stuff here, while not going to ACCD.

Summer has officially started for me and I hope to do some great training in these few monthes to be better. I'll start studying automotive terminology and creating that mental inventory of automotive models form every car manafacturer. I read in another forum post about ACCD portfolios and have decided to create the following pieces of work until December 1st, Portfolio Day, where a ACCD representative is coming over at Washington DC to review portfolios!

1) 4 Projects (40-45 Page 11" x 17" sheets)
2) 2 Sketchbooks
3) Loose Renderings/Sketches

About the industrial/deisgn/drawing/illustration classes, unfortunatley there literally is no resource in my area (including my own college!) that provides classes , unless I start some online courses... But I will certainly browse around fall semester to some art classes!

And that is some serious dedication! Your friend actually drove 220 miles from and back?!?!?! Wow he must be a great and ambitious student designer in the school, if he's able to do that!

Thanks again for the replies guys! It's really helped me to grasp my situation a little better Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Forums Member
Picture of Aonepathan
posted Hide Post
Hey man, I live in Chantilly! That is totally near my place! I'm going to send you a message, let's meet up! Definitely Portfolio Day, I'll be there for ACCD as well

Forums Member
posted Hide Post
Get an industrial degree somewhere else. Make sure some of those courses are transferable credits to ACCD. Take all of your academics (writing/Design History) early and transfer them over so most of the courses you'll take are all studio based (Exteriors, Interiors, Vis Comm, 3D etc). It will be much more easier that way. The last thing you want to do is worry about an 5 page essay when you still have to do 20 pages of sketches. It's not fun.

Posts: 58 | Location: Richmond BCReply With QuoteReport This Post